The poem above is work generated by the Conservation Montgomery Young Environmental Writers (YEW) Workshop. We will publish various forms of environmental writing by local high school students who participated in this project funded by a grant from the Ohio-based Green Shanny Foundation. Read more about the YEW project in our latest e-newsletter.
By Edwin Abarca
As I walked along the trail,
I felt a vast emptiness.
It was quiet and many pine trees were on the ground.
But it gave a feeling of
Peace and friendliness,
A huge feeling that I could not
I had such a great view, like
I was on top of the world.
My phone camera would have
Made it last.
A huge field of leafless trees
My memory took the flash.
Click on each event link below. Check later for details if there is no link behind an event title.
- Nov. 1, Conservation Montgomery Big Tree Tour in the Down County, 9:30 a.m.
- Nov. 7, Conservation Montomery Annual Meeting, 6 p.m. Make a reservation today. Space is limited.
- Nov. 8, Home Tree Care 101 Class set for Silver Spring. 10 a.m. to noon.
- Nov. 13, Hives in the City at ANS, 7 p.m.
- Nov. 15, Conservation Montgomery Community Tree Planting, Flower Avenue, 9 a.m. to noon. Click to volunteer.
- Nov. 22, Home Tree Care 101 Class. Send an email to join the West Chevy Chase class at 10 a.m.
- Nov. 29, Invasive Plant Removal, 8 a.m.
Click on to each name below to visit the websites of our member organizations or corporate affiliates.
- Audubon Naturalist Society
- Bethesda Green
- Casey Trees
- Choose Clean Water Coalition
- Equestrian Partners in Conservation
- Friends of Sligo Creek
- Granito de Arena
- Greater Sandy Spring Green Space
- Hiking Along
- Little Falls Watershed Alliance
- Montgomery Bicycle Advocates (MoBike)
- Montgomery County Civic Federation
- Montgomery Countryside Alliance
- Montgomery County Parks Foundation
- Muddy Branch Alliance
- My Green Montgomery
- Neighbors of the Northwest Branch
- Potomac Conservancy
- Rock Creek Conservancy
- Safe Grow Montgomery
- Seven Oaks-Evanswood Citizens' Association
- Silver Spring Green
- Up County Action
- Washington Women Outdoors
- West Montgomery County Citizens Association
- Woodrock Homeowners Association