The poem above is work generated by the Conservation Montgomery Young Environmental Writers (YEW) Workshop. We will publish various forms of environmental writing by local high school students who participated in this project funded by a grant from the Ohio-based Green Shanny Foundation. Read more about the YEW project in our latest e-newsletter.
By Lea Sanon
Just because trees can’t talk
Doesn’t mean we can just them down
Doesn’t mean we can burn trees down
Doesn’t mean they don’t have feelings.
Just because trees can’t talk
Doesn’t mean they don’t want to leave.
I see lots of beautiful trees
I smell pines.
I hear birds singing.
I feel a cold breeze.
I taste fresh air.
I think it’s paradise.
I don’t understand
Why people would want to destroy our parks,
Why some wild animals have to flee their habitats,
Why people can be so selfish.
But most of all,
Why humans cut trees down
Why we put others in danger of air pollution
Why we must throw litter on our local streets and parks.
What I understand most is
Why the wild animals love wandering around in the wilderness
Why it smells so fresh
Why the birds sing
Why water runs on tree roots.
Click on each event link below. Check later for details if there is no link behind an event title.
- Dec. 14: Ladies Trek: Seneca Creek Greenway Trail 9 a.m.
- Dec. 16: Holiday Good Green Fun 5:30 p.m.
- Dec. 17: Conservation Montgomery Board Meeting
- Dec. 18: Sign up to testify on Council bill banning cosmetic use of pesticides
- Dec. 20: Make Edible Ornaments for Wildlife 10:30 a.m.
- Dec. 20: Friends of Sligo Creek Invasive Plant Removal 9 a.m.
- Dec. 20: Muddy Branch Alliance Weed Warriors – Watts Branch
- Dec. 20: Seneca-Poolesville Road Bike Loop 9:30 a.m.
- Dec. 20: Invasive Plant Removal Rock Creek Park 10 a.m.
- Dec. 21: Make it and Take it -- Natural Ornaments 2:30 p.m.
- Dec. 28: Friends of Ten Mile Creek Christmas Bird Count
- Dec. 31: Last day to an end-of-the-year tax-deductible donation to Conservation Montgomery. By 12 a.m. Jan. 1st!
- Jan. 2: ANS Native Garden Work Day 9:30 a.m.
- Jan. 4: ANS Winter Birding at Black Hill 8:30 a.m.
- Jan. 10: Ladies Hike Out, Lois Y. Green Conservation Park 9:30 a.m.
- Jan. 11: Friends of Ten Mile Creek Trash Clean Up
- Jan. 11: Restoration of the American Chestnut Tree, 1:30 p.m.
- Jan. 12: Montgomery County Civic Federation Monthly Meeting, 7:45 p.m.
- Jan. 15: County Council Hearing on Pesticides Bill 7:30 p.m.
County Legislative Information
Click on to each name below to visit the websites of our member organizations or corporate affiliates.
- Audubon Naturalist Society
- Bethesda Green
- Casey Trees
- Choose Clean Water Coalition
- Equestrian Partners in Conservation
- Friends of Sligo Creek
- Granito de Arena
- Greater Sandy Spring Green Space
- Hiking Along
- Little Falls Watershed Alliance
- Montgomery Bicycle Advocates (MoBike)
- Montgomery County Civic Federation
- Montgomery Countryside Alliance
- Montgomery County Parks Foundation
- Muddy Branch Alliance
- My Green Montgomery
- Neighbors of the Northwest Branch
- Potomac Conservancy
- Rock Creek Conservancy
- Safe Grow Montgomery
- Seven Oaks-Evanswood Citizens' Association
- Silver Spring Green
- Up County Action
- Washington Women Outdoors
- West Montgomery County Citizens Association
- Woodrock Homeowners Association